Urdunnir (CR 2)
Alignment: Usually neutral
Initiative: +0; Senses: darkvision 60 ft., Listen +2, and Spot +2
AC: 16 (+4 scale mail, +2 large shield), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +0
Speed: 20 ft. (15 ft. in scale mail)
Space: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack +1; Grapple +1
Attack: Dwarven waraxe +1 melee; or shortbow +1 ranged
Full Attack: Dwarven waraxe +1 melee; or shortbow +1 ranged
Damage: Dwarven waraxe 1d8; shortbow 1d6
Special Attacks/Actions: Dwarven traits, spell-like abilities
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 10, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 7
Special Qualities: Dwarven traits
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (dwarven waraxe)
Skills: Appraise +2, Craft (metalworking) +2, Listen +2, and Spot +2
Advancement: By character class
Organization: Scouting party (5-20) or clan (30-100 plus 20% noncombatants plus 2-5 lords of 2nd-5th level)
Treasure/Possessions: Double items
Monster Manual (3E)
Dwarves are experts in combat, effectively using their environment and executing well-planned group attacks. They rarely use magic in fights, since they have few wizards or sorcerers (but dwarven clerics throw themselves into battle as heartily as their fellow warriors). If they have time to prepare, they may build deadfalls or other traps involving stone. In addition to the dwarven waraxe and thrown hammer, dwarves also use warhammers, picks, shortbows, heavy crossbows, and maces.
Dwarven Traits (Ex): Dwarves benefit from a number of racial traits.
- +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids, through special combat training.
- +2 racial bonus to Will saves against spells and spell-like abilities
- +2 racial bonus to Fortitude saves against all poisons.
- +4 dodge bonus against giants, through special defensive training
- Darkvision up to 60 feet
- Stonecunning: Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus to checks to notice unusual stonework. Something that isn't stone but is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a check as though actively searching and can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth sensing the approximate distance underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
Skills: Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus to Appraise checks and Craft or Profession checks that are related to stone or metal.
Urdunnirs have the same special abilities as normal dwarves. Their extraordinary resistance to poison grants them a +4 bonus on their saving throws against all toxins. Urdunnirs also possess the innate supernatural ability to stone walk, allowing them to pass through stone and earth as if it were air. They can carry up to twice their own body weight with them in this manner. Once per round, an urdunnir can use the spell-like ability stone shape as an 8th-level sorcerer.
An urdunnir can also use a shape metal spell-like ability by concentrating for a full round and using this ability in the next round. The power works just like the stone shape spell, except that the urdunnir can only affect 5 cubic feet of metal. The dwarf must touch the metal to shape it, which may require a melee touch attack if an opponent is holding or wielding the object. If an urdunnir is prepared for an attack, he can reshape a metal weapon as it hits, taking only half damage from the attack and rendering the weapon useless. (The dwarf must spend one action preparing to use the power, then ready the shape metal ability on his next action, using the ability the next time he is struck in combat.) Magic weapons and armor receive a Fortitude saving throw against this power (see the saving throw rules under Strike an Object in Chapter 8 of the Player's Handbook).