Teratomorph (CR 16)
Alignment: Always neutral
Initiative: -3 (Dex)
AC: 3 (-4 size, -3 Dex), touch 3, flat-footed 3
Hit Dice: 28d10+140 (294 hp)
Fort +14, Ref +6, Will +4
Speed: 30 ft., fly 50 ft. (poor), swim 90 ft.
Space: 20 ft./15 ft.
Base Attack +21; Grapple +29
Attack: Slam +28 melee
Full Attack: Slam +28 melee
Damage: Slam 4d6+16 plus entropic touch
Special Attacks/Actions: Entropic touch, portalwake, warp reality
Abilities: Str 32, Dex 5, Con 20, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1
Special Qualities: detect law, dimensional instability, immunities, ooze traits, SR 32
Advancement: 29-36 HD (Gargantuan); 37-84 (Colossal)
Climate/Terrain: Any aquatic and underground
Monster Manual II
The teratomorph is a mindless creature. When it isn't eating, it is on the move looking for something to eat. It surges forth to attack any Small or larger creature that pass within range of its blindsight, but it ignores creatures smaller than this.
A teratomorph attacks by extruding a massive wave of chaotic protoplasm to smash its prey. Not only does this attack deal extensive bludgeoning damage, also infuses the creature touched with raw chaos.
Entropic Touch (Su): The entropic energy that surges through a teratomorph's shapeless body causes horrible transformations in living creatures that come into contact with it. If a creature struck by a teratomorph's slam attack fails a Fortitude saving throw (DC 29) its body transforms some way, causing one of the following effects:
- 1d20 - RESULT
- 1-10 - Physical Mutation. The touch of the ooze transforms the victim's anatomy in some horrible way, resulting in 1d6 points of temporary damage to Strength or Dexterity (50% chance each).
- 11-16 - Fleshwarp. The opponent's flesh temporarily warps before returning to normal. This painful process deals 5d20 points of nonlethal damage.
- 17-18 - Tissue Annihilation. The touch of the ooze causes tiny portions of the victim's anatomy to vanish; this causes 2d4 points of permanent Constitution drain.
- 19 - Bonding. The ooze bonds its matter with the victim. The victim is pulled into the teratomorph's square and held helpless against the bulk of the teratomorph. Each round, the ooze does an additional 4d6+16 points of crushing damage to the victim, who must make additional Fortitude saving throws each round to avoid further effects from the entropic touch. The victim can escape if the ooze is slain, but otherwise only powerful magic such as a miracle or wish can free a victim from the teratomorph's clutches. A dispel chaos spell cast on a bonded victim will free her, if the dispel chaos penetrates the teratomorph's spell resistance. The teratomorph is not considered to be grappling creatures it has bonded with; it can still threaten any area within its reach. A creature that dies while bonded to a teratomorph is automatically absorbed by the ooze.
- 20 - Absorption. The creature is entirely absorbed by the ooze and disintegrated. An absorbed victim leaves behind no trace of a body, and can be restored to life only with a miracle, true resurrection, or wish spell.
Portalwake (Su): The presence of a teratomorph places tremendous strain on the borders between the planes, causing tears and rips to appear nearby Each round, one creature within a 120-foot radius of the teratomorph, chosen at random, must make a Reflex saving throw (DC 19) or be moved to a random plane as though by a plane shift spell.
Warp Reality (Su): The potent chaotic energy that surges through and out of a teratomorph's body can have amazing effects on the surrounding terrain. When the monster is at rest, this energy is calm, but when the monster moves or attacks, the energy lashes out in a 120-foot emanation. These ripples of chaos cause the surrounding terrain to warp and writhe, imposing a -4 circumstance penalty on attack rolls and Dexterity checks for all creatures in the area except the teratomorph.
Every round that this reality warp persists, there is a 10% chance that the chaotic energy manifests in a more dramatic manner. Such chaos manifestations duplicate spell effects.
Roll 1d20 and refer to the appropriate line on the following table to determine the spells effects produced. These effects function as the spells of the same names (caster level 20th; save DC 10 + spell level), except that they affect all the appropriate targets (except the teratomorph) within the warped reality area and last for 1 round.
|1-4||Entangle and Obscuring Mist|
|5-8||Colorspray and Glitterdust|
|9-12||Stinking Cloud and Spike Growth|
|13-14||Spike Stones and Cloudkill|
|15-16||Insect Plague and Mind Fog|
|17-18||Acid Fog and Transmute Rock to Mud|
|19||Fire storm and reverse gravity|
|20||Earthquake and prismatic spray|
(roll once for all affected creatures)
Blindsight (Ex): A teratomorph is blind, but its entire body is a primitive sensory organ that can ascertain prey by scent and vibration. This ability enables it to discern objects and creatures within 240 feet. A teratomorph usually does not need to make Spot or Listen checks to notice creatures within range of its blindsight.
Detect Law (Su): A teratomorph has a continual detect law ability (as the spell) with a range of 20 feet.
Dimensional Instability (Su): Each time an opponent strikes a teratomorph with a weapon, there is a chance that the portion of the creature's body struck simply doesn't exist at that instant. Any melee or ranged attack directed at the teratomorph has a 20% miss chance that cannot be avoided with spells such as true seeing or true strike. Dimensional anchor negates this ability, reducing the miss chance to 0% for the duration of the effect.
Immunities (Ex): A teratomorph is immune to lightning, acid, and all spells with the chaotic descriptor.
Ooze Traits: A teratomorph is immune to mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and polymorphing. It is not subject to critical hits or flanking.