Spirit Folk (War1) (CR 1/2)
Medium Humanoid (Spirit)
Alignment: Usually neutral good
Initiative: +0; Senses: low-light vision, Listen +2, and Spot +2
AC: 14 (+4 chain shirt), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +0
Speed: 30 ft., swim 30 ft. (river), climb 30 ft. (mountain)
Space: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack +1; Grapple +1
Attack: Shortsword +3 melee; or javelin +1 ranged
Full Attack: Shortsword +3 melee; or javelin +1 ranged
Damage: Shortsword 1d6+1/19-20; javelin 1d6+1
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 8
Special Qualities: spirit folk traits
Feats: Weapon Focus (longsword)
Skills: Listen +2 and Spot +2
Advancement: By character class
Climate/Terrain: Temperate and cold aquatic (river); temperate and cold mountains (mountain)
Organization: Solitary or band (2-10)
Though spirit folk prefer peaceful solutions to violence, they can fight courageously and skillfully when necessary. They use a variety of weapons and prefer light armor.
Low-Light Vision (Ex): Spirit folk can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
Spirit Folk Traits (Ex): Spirit folk have a number of racial traits, depending on their type. See Spirit Folk Characters, below.
- Low-Light Vision: Spirit folk can see twice as far as humans in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. They retain the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Giant, Goblin, Mulan, Rashemi, Shou, Tuigan.
Mountain Spirit Folk
In addition to the spirit folk traits described above, mountain spirit folk have the following abilities and characteristics.
- Mountain spirit folk have a base climb speed of 30 feet.
- +2 racial bonus on Balance, Jump, and Tumble checks. Mountain spirit folk are at home on steep slopes and sheer pinnacles that would terrify most humans. Since mountain spirit folk possess a natural climb speed, they receive a +8 racial bonus on all Climb checks and can always choose to take 10, even if rushed or threatened.
- Once per day, a mountain spirit folk can use speak with animals to speak with any bird. This ability has a duration of 1 minute (the spirit folk is considered a 1st-level caster when using this ability, regardless of actual level).
River Spirit Folk
In addition to the spirit folk traits described above, river spirit folk have the following abilities and characteristics.
- River spirit folk have a base swim speed of 30 feet. They do not need to make Swim checks to swim normally. They gain a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard, and they can always choose to take 10 on these checks, even if distracted or endangered when swimming. They can use the run action while swimming, provided they swim in a straight line.
- Water Breathing: River spirit folk can breathe water as easily as they breathe air.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects with the word "water" in the name of the effect.
- Once per day, a river spirit folk can use speak with animals to speak with any fish. This ability has a duration of 1
- minute (the spirit folk is considered a 1st-level caster when using this ability, regardless of actual level).
Spirit creatures include some fey and elementals (nature spirits), outsiders (celestial spirits), undead (ghosts and ancestors), and even dragons. Spirit creatures are nor necessarily incorporeal, despite their name - in the worlds of Oriental Adventures, some spirits are as much flesh and bone as humans are. The only game effect of the spirit type modifier is that spirit creatures are all affected by spells such as commune with greater spirit, invisibility to spirits, and protection from spirits.