Obox-ob, Prince of Vermin (CR 22)
Huge Outsider (Obyrith)
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Initiative: +7(+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative); Senses: darkvision 60 ft., true seeing, Listen +36, and Spot +36
Languages: Abyssal; telepathy 100 ft.
AC: 41 (-2 size, +3 Dex, +30 natural), touch 11, flat-footed 38
Hit Dice: 26d8+338 (455 hp); DR: 20/cold iron and lawful
Fort +28, Ref +18, Will +22
Speed: 40 ft., Fly 60 ft. (good), and Climb 40 ft.
Space: 15 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Base Attack +26; Grapple +46
Attack: Melee: 3 stings +36 and bite +34 and tongue +34
Damage: Sting 3d6+12/19—20 plus poison, bite 2d6+6, tongue 1d8+6 plus implant chaos
Attack Options: Cleave, Flyby Attack, Power Attack
Abilities: Str 34, Dex 17, Con 36, Int 23, Wis 24, Cha 27
Special Qualities: Aura: discordant drone (40-ft. radius, Will DC 31), form of madness (120-ft. radius, Will DC 31); obyrith traits; fast healing 15; Immunities: disease, mind-affecting spells and abilities, poison Resist acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, fire 10; SR 33
Feats: Cleave, Dark Speech, Flyby Attack, Improved Initiative, Improved Critical (sting), Multiattack, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (giant vermin, telekinesis),
Skills: Climb +41, Concentration +42, Diplomacy +10, Hide +24, Intimidate +37, Jump +43, Knowledge (arcana) +35, Knowledge (religion) +35, Knowledge (the planes) +35, Listen +36, Move Silently +32, Sense Motive +36, Spellcraft +37, Spot +36, and Tumble +34
Climate/Terrain: The Abyss (Zionym)
Fiendish Codex I
Discordant Drone (Su): The cacophony of Obox-ob's armored body shrieking and wailing creates a zone of discordant noise whenever he moves at least 5 feet. All creatures within 40 feet when this drone is in effect must succeed on a DC 31 Will save or be deafened and confused for 1 round. This is a mind-affecting ability. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Form of Madness (Su): Any creature within 120 feet that observes Obox-ob must attempt a DC 31 Will save. Failure indicates the creature's mind is forevermore haunted by Obox-ob's unholy shape. Each time it tries to rest for the night, it is subject to the effect of a nightmare spell (no save; CL 20th). The victim automatically becomes shaken whenever he is within 30 feet of a vermin creature of which he is aware. This form of madness is permanent and especially difficult to cure with magic. A heal or greater restoration can cure the effects if the caster makes a DC 30 caster level check. Miracle or wish automatically cures the condition.
A creature that makes this save is immune to Obox-ob's form of madness for 24 hours. This is a mind-affecting ability that does not affect chaotic evil outsiders. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Poison (Su): Sting - Injury, Fortitude DC 36, 2d8 Int drain/2d8 Int drain. A creature drained to 0 Intelligence by Obox-ob's sting is immediately transformed into a fiendish monstrous scorpion of the same size as its previous form; the victim retains none of its previous abilities, intelligence, or memories. Only a miracle or wish restores the victim to its original form and raises its Intelligence to 1. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Implant Chaos (Su): A creature that takes damage from Obox-ob's tongue attack must attempt a DC 31 Fortitude save. Failure indicates the tongue implants the victim with the raw stuff of chaos. The victim gains 1d4 negative levels per round as the chaos transforms his body and soul. Once the victim has a number of negative levels equal to his Hit Dice, the chaos consumes him utterly, leaving behind only his gear. A creature destroyed in this manner can only be brought back to life with a miracle, true resurrection, or wish spell, and even then the caster must succeed on a DC 30 caster level check or the implanted chaos immediately begins to destroy the victim again as soon as he is restored to life. Dispel chaos halts the deterioration caused by the implantation but does not restore lost levels. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 20th): At will - astral projection, desecrate, detect good, detect law, greater dispel magic, greater teleport, giant vermin, telekinesis (DC 23), summon swarm, unhallow, unholy blight (DC 22); 3/day - creeping doom, quickened giant vermin, quickened telekinesis (DC 23), symbol of insanity (DC 25); 1/day - polymorph any object (DC 26, into vermin shape only)
The strange and horrific Obyriths are primeval demons from eons past. They wrought chaos and evil upon the multiverse before the advent of intelligent life on the Material Plane. Their forms are hideous to behold, rarely if ever incorporating elements possessed by mortal creatures. Obyriths dwell only in the most remote corners of the Abyss. Their kind has been in decline since the rise of the tanar'ri in the Abyss, although a few tenacious examples continue to make their presence known on key layers.
Traits: An obyrith has the following traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature's entry).
- Immunity to poison and mind-affecting spells and abilities.
- Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, electricity 10, and fire 10.
- Fast Healing: All obyriths have fast healing; the exact amount is indicated in the specific creature's entry.
- Form of Madness (Sp): Obyriths appear in forms so noxious and horrific that those within 60 feet of an obyrith who observe it are subject to madness. When a creature first encounters an obyrith, it must attempt a Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 the obyrith's HD + the obyrith's Cha modifier). Failure indicates that the victim is afflicted with some permanent form of madness or insanity. The kind of malady and its duration depends on the obyrith. A creature that makes a saving throw against an obyrith's form of madness is immune to that particular effect for 24 hours. Blindness is no protection against an obyrith's form of madness - their presence is an affront to all five senses. This is a mind-affecting ability. Chaotic evil outsiders are immune to an obyrith's form of madness. The insanity caused by an obyrith's form of madness ability is permanent in most cases, but can be removed by greater restoration, heal, limited wish, miracle, or wish.
- True Seeing (Su): An obyrith is under the constant effect of true seeing. This effect cannot be dispelled.