Neanderthal (CR 1/2)
Medium Humanoid (Human)
Alignment: Often neutral
Initiative: -1 (Dex); Senses: Listen +1 and Spot +2
AC: 12 (-1 Dex, +3 hide armor), touch 9, flat-footed 12
Hit Dice: 1d8+5 (9 hp)
Fort +4, Ref -1, Will -1
Speed: 30 ft. (20 ft. in hide armor)
Space: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack +1; Grapple +3
Attack: Greatclub +4 melee or spear +1 ranged
Full Attack: Greatclub +4 melee or spear +1 ranged
Damage: Greatclub 1d10+3, spear 1d8+2/x3
Special Attacks/Actions: -
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 9, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 9, Cha 8
Special Qualities: Neanderthal traits
Skills: Listen +1, Spot +2, and Survival +2
Advancement: By character class
Climate/Terrain: Cold hills
Organization: Family (2-12), clan (10-24 plus 50% non-combatants plus 1 3rd-level chief per 20 adults, 1 druid of 3rd-5th level per 10 adults, and 1 leader of 4th-6th level), or warband (10-20 plus 1 3rd-level chief per 10 warriors, 1-3 saber-toothed tigers, 1-2 druids of 2nd-4th level, and 1 war chief of 5th-8th level)
Neanderthals are skilled hunters and work together to take down large prey. When confronted by other humanoids, they fight to defend their territory, but are rarely organized enough to drive determined settlers off their lands. They fight in small clan or family groups; rarely, a charismatic war leader can raise a warband to attack and plunder nearby towns.
Some neanderthal tribes have tame saber-toothed tigers as hunting companions. Others ride megaloceroses bareback into battle, though they dismount to fight.
Neanderthal Traits: Neanderthals possess the following traits:
- Primitive Weapon Mastery (Ex): Neanderthals have a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls made with the following weapons: bolas, club, dart, greatclub, goad, harpoon, iuak, javelin, longspear, quarterstaff, ritiik, shortbow, shortspear, sling, spear, sugliin, throwing axe, and tigerskull club. +2 racial bonus on Listen, Spot, and Survival checks.
- Climate-Tolerant (Ex): Neanderthals do not have to make Fortitude saves in extreme environments between -20° and 140° F (severe cold to severe heat). This ability does not provide any protection from fire or cold damage.
- Human Blood: For all effects related to race, a neanderthal is considered a human.
- Illiteracy: Neanderthals do not automatically know how to read and write.
- Bonus languages: Dwarven, Giant, and Orc.