Myconid Circle Leader (CR 6)
Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
Initiative: +1 (Dex); Senses: low-light vision and Listen +5
Languages: telepathy via spores
AC: 12 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 11
Hit Dice: 5d8+15 (37 hp)
Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +4
Speed: 20 ft.
Space: 10 ft./10 ft.
Base Attack +3; Grapple +2
Attack: 2 slams +5 melee (1d8+3), or spores +6 ranged touch
Special Attacks/Actions: Spores
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 11, Wis 16, Cha 15
Special Qualities: Plant traits, spores
Feats: Alertness; Weapon Focus (spores)
Skills: Diplomacy +4, Intimidate +5, Knowledge (nature) +3, Listen +5, Profession (farmer) +7, Sense Motive +6, and Survival +5
Organization: Solitary, pair, patrol (3-5), work gang (3-5 plus 3-5 workers), or circle (4 junior workers plus average workers, elder workers, guards, and elder guards, for a total of 20)
Monster Manual II
Spores (Ex): Circle leaders have access to distress, reproduction, rapport, pacification, and hallucination spores (save DC 15 where applicable).
- Distress: These spores alert all other myconids within the area that danger is near. They are released in a 120-foot spread.
- Reproduction: These spores eventually germinate into new infant myconids. They are released as a 120-foot spread and have no detrimental effects on non-myconids.
- Rapport: Myconids do not speak, but these spores enable them to establish telepathic communication with each other and with outsiders. A successful Fortitude saving throw (DC varies; see individual descriptions) negates the effect, but it is harmless. Rapport lasts for 30 to 60 minutes with outsiders, but for 8 hours with other myconids. Rapport spores can be released as either a 120-foot spread or a 40-foot ray. Regardless of the release area, the communication range is 120 feet once rapport is established.
- Pacification: These spores are released as a 40-foot ray. The target must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC varies; see individual descriptions) or become passive for 1 minute. Being passive is similar to being dazed, except that the target can take partial actions that don't involve attacking. This is a mind-affecting compulsion effect.
- Hallucination: These spores are released as a 40-foot ray. The target must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC varies; see individual descriptions) or suffer powerful hallucinations that duplicate the effects of a confusion spell for 1 hour.
Skills and Feats (Ex): A myconid gains skills and feats as though it were a fey. A myconid of any kind has EHD as though it were a Tiny plant.
Circle leaders join battle only if doing so seems necessary to keep their underlings from being slaughtered. In combat, they use their hallucination spores at the first opportunity. Like other myconids, they prefer to avoid melee combat altogether but can use their slams if they must.