Kython Slaymaster (CR 11)

Large Aberration
Alignment: Always neutral evil
Initiative: +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative); Senses: listen +13
Languages: Kython: a strange smattering of both Infernal and Abyssal, but only to each other


AC: 30 (-1 size, +3 Dex, +18 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 27
Hit Dice: 15d8+60 (127 hp)
Fort +9, Ref +8, Will +13
Speed: 30 ft.
Space: 5 ft./10 ft.
Base Attack +11; Grapple +11
Attack: Bite +17 melee and tail slap +15 melee and 4 claws +16 melee
Full Attack: Bite +17 melee and tail slap +15 melee and 4 claws +16 melee
Damage: Bite 4d6+7, tail slap 1d6+3, claw 1d8+3
Special Attacks/Actions: Constrict 2d8+10, improved grab, kython weaponry, poison
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 17, Con 18, Int 18, Wis 19, Cha 19
Special Qualities: Kython traits
Feats: Cleave; Dodge; Great Cleave; Improved Initiative (B); Mobility; Multiattack (B); Power Attack; Spring Attack; Weapon Focus (claw)
Skills: Escape Artist +10, Hide +17, Intimidate +10, Move Silently +21, Survival +10, and listen +13
Advancement: 16-24 HD (Large); 25-32 HD (Huge)
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Organization: Solitary or nest (1 slaymaster, 2-4 adults, 2-4 juveniles, 3-5 broodlings)
Treasure: Double standard

Source: Book of Vile Darkness

Combat

A slaymaster has a virulent poison in its bite and tail, and it also commands strange supernatural abilities.

Constrict (Ex): With a successful grapple check, a slaymaster can crush a grabbed opponent, dealing 2d8+10 points of bludgeoning damage.

Improved Grab (Ex): if a slaymaster hits a Medium-size or smaller opponent with a tail slap attack, it deals normal damage and attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity (grapple bonus +22). If it hits with the tail slap, it can also constrict in the same round. The slaymaster has the option to conduct the grapple normally, or simply use its tail to hold the opponent (-20 penalty on grapple check, but the slaymaster is not considered grappled). In either case, each successful grapple check it makes during successive rounds automatically deals tail slap and constrict damage.

Kython Weaponry (Ex): The kythons grow their weapons and devices from eggs similar to those that spawn their young. When a kython lays an egg, it can choose whether the egg will hatch into a broodling or an organic weapon. A kython using any of these weapons substitutes the weapon's attack for one of its claw attacks (in the case of a ranged weapon, using the kython's Dexterity bonus rather than its Strength bonus). In all other ways, these weapons are considered natural weapons. Nonkythons cannot make these weapons function. Each slaymaster has a 90% chance to possess a kython weapon. If it does possess a weapon, it has a 10% chance to possess a second one. To determine which weapon a kython has, roll on the following table.

d%Weapon
01-20Acid spitter
21-50Bone shard crossbow
51-60Boneblade
61-70Extra armor
71-80Mouth launcher
81-90Mucus pod
91-100Phase organ

Acid Spitter: This handheld weapon makes ranged touch attacks with a range increment of 10 feet and a maximum range of 50 feet. Those struck by the glob of acid take 3d6 points of damage. It bears a vague resemblance to a repeating crossbow, although it has a bulbous green membrane attached to its top. The acid spitter can be used 10 times per hour.

Bone Shard Crossbow: This weapon resembles a repeating crossbow made of carapace and cartilage. It fires a single bone spike with a range increment of 20 feet. It deals only 1 point of damage, but it carries the same venom that the kython using it produces.

Boneblade: This Medium-size slashing melee weapon is considered masterwork (adds +1 to attack roll) and deals 1d10 points of damage. It is bone-white with thin red and blue veins covering its sides.

Extra Armor: Extra chitinous plates are fitted to the kython's body, adding +2 to its existing natural armor bonus.

Mouth Launcher: This weapon, which attaches to the back of a kython's mouth, looks like a worm with a sphincterlike mouth. As an additional attack made at the kython's highest attack bonus, the mouth launcher can shoot out at a foe, making an improved grab attack that deals 1d4 points of damage (plus the kython's Strength bonus). If it gets a hold, the foe is pulled into the kython's mouth for an automatically successful bite attack on that same round. The mouth launcher continues to hold the foe, allowing automatic bite attacks each round until the foe breaks free. Add +1 to the Challenge Rating of a kython with this weapon.

Mucus Pod: This gray and red membrane sac, filled with yellow fluid, attaches to a kython's arm. When the kython makes a successful claw attack with that arm, the attack also sprays mucus out of a tube that runs from the sac to the claw. A creature hit by the claw must succeed at a Reflex saving throw (DC 18) or be entangled in the mucus for 1d6+4 rounds. Alcohol will wash the substance off a victim. Otherwise, there is no means of disentangling before the duration is up.

Phase Organ: This small fleshy pod fits upon the forehead of the kython, grafting into place permanently. It allows the kython to become incorporeal (or corporeal again) as a free action. It cannot use this supernatural ability more than once per round. Add +1 to the Challenge Rating of a kython with this device.

Skills and Feats: All kythons have extra Hit Dice as though they were Small creatures.

Poison (Ex): Bite, Fort DC 21; initial and secondary damage 2d6 Strength.

Disruption Field (Su): if a slaymaster chooses to reduce the range of its blindsight to 30 feet, nonkythons within this smaller area take a -2 morale penalty on attacks, saves, ability checks, and skill checks. Any spell cast in this area has a 10% chance of being disrupted and failing (check for normal arcane spell failure chance separately). The disruption field can operate at the same time as the defensive field, or the slaymaster can activate them independently.

Enhanced Defense (Su): If a slaymaster chooses to reduce the range of its blindsight to 30 feet, it gains a +2 deflection bonus to Armor Class and spell resistance 20. Enhanced defense can operate at the same time as the disruption field, or the slaymaster can activate them independently.

Kython Traits: All kythons are eyeless but have blindsight to a range of 60 feet. They are all immune to acid and cold and possess fire resistance 20 and electricity resistance 20.