Halfling, Deep (CR 1/2)
AC: 15 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +3 studded leather), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Hit Dice: 1d8 (4 hp)
Fort +3, Ref +2, Will +1
Speed: 20 ft.
Space: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack +0; Grapple -5
Attack: Longsword +2 melee; or heavy crossbow +3 ranged
Full Attack: Longsword +2 melee; or heavy crossbow +3 ranged
Damage: Longsword 1d8-1; or heavy crossbow 1d10
Special Attacks/Actions: Halfling traits
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 11, Cha 11
Special Qualities: stonecunning, halfling traits
Feats: Weapon Focus (longsword)
Skills: Appraise +2, Climb +0, Hide +5, Jump +0, Listen +3, and Move Silently +0
Advancement: By character class
Climate/Terrain: Warm hill
Organization: Company (2-4), squad (11-20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or band (30-100 plus 100% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, 3 7th-level captains, 6-10 dogs, and 2-5 riding dogs)
Halflings prefer to fight defensively, usually hiding and launching ranged attacks as the foe approaches. There tactics are very much like those of elves but place more emphasis on cover and concealment and less on mobility.
Deep Halfling Traits (Ex):
- Darkvision up to 60 feet.
- Small: Halflings gain a +1 size bonus to AC and attack rolls and a +4 size bonus to Hide checks, but they must use smaller weapons than humans use, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of Medium-size creatures.
- +1 racial bonus to all saving throws.
- +2 morale bonus to saving throws against fear, (This bonus stacks with the halfling's +1 bonus to saving throws in general.)
- +1 racial attack bonus with a thrown weapon.
- Stonecunning: Like dwarves, deep halflings receive a +2 racial bonus to checks to notice unusual stonework. Something that isn't stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A deep halfling who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a check as though actively searching and can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A deep halfling can also intuit depth, sensing the approximate distance underground as normally as a human can sense which way is up.
Skills: Deep halflings receive a +2 racial bonus to Appraise checks and Craft checks that are related to stone or metal. Their keen hearing bestows a +2 racial bonus to Listen checks.