Gnome (CR 1/2)
Small Humanoid (Gnome)
Alignment: Usually neutral good
Initiative: +0; Senses: Listen +1 and Spot +1
AC: 16 (+1 size, +4 chain shirt, +1 light shield), touch 11, flat-footed 15
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (6 hp)
Fort +4, Ref +0, Will -1
Speed: 20 ft.
Space: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack +1; Grapple -3
Attack: Long sword +2 melee; or light cross-bow +3 ranged
Full Attack: Long sword +2 melee; or light cross-bow +3 ranged
Damage: Long sword 1d6/19-20; or light crossbow 1d6/19-20
Special Attacks/Actions: -
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 8
Special Qualities: Gnome traits
Feats: Weapon Focus (light crossbow)
Skills: Hide +3, Listen +1, and Spot +1
Advancement: By character class
Climate/Terrain: Temperate hills
Organization: Company (2-4), squad (11-20 plus 1 leader of 3rd-6th level and 2 3rd-level lieutenants), or band (30-50 plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 20 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, 3 7th-level captains, and 2-5 dire badgers)
Gnomes prefer misdirection and deception over direct confrontation. They would rather befuddle or embarrass foes (other than goblinoids or kobolds) than kill them. Gnomes make heavy use of illusion magic and carefully prepared ambushes and traps whenever they can.
Spells: Gnomes with Intelligence scores of 10 or higher may cast dancing lights, ghost sound, and prestidigitation, each once per day as a 1st-level wizard (spell failure penalties for armor apply)
Speak with Animals (Sp): Once per day a gnome can use speak with animals as a 1st-level druid to communicate with a burrowing mammal (badger, fox, rabbit, etc.).
Gnome Traits (Ex): Gnomes benefit from a number of racial traits:
- Small: Gnomes gain a +1 size bonus to AC and attack rolls and a +4 size bonus to Hide checks, but they must use smaller weapons than humans use, and their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of Medium-size creatures.
- Low-light Vision: Gnomes can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination.
- +2 racial bonus to saving throws against illusions.
- +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids
- +4 dodge bonus against giants.
Skills: Gnomes receive a +2 racial bonus to Listen checks, for their keen hearing, and to Alchemy checks, because their sensitive noses allow them to monitor alchemical processes by smell.