Forest Trapper (Miner) (CR 8)
Alignment: Always neutral
Initiative: +1 (Dex); Senses: darkvision 60 ft., Listen +13, and Spot +12
AC: 16 (-2 size, +1 Dex, +7 natural) touch 9, flat-footed 15
Hit Dice: 10d8+50 (95 hp)
Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +11
Speed: 10 ft., burrow 20 ft.
Space: 15 ft./10 ft.
Base Attack +8; Grapple +12
Attack: Buffet +13 melee
Full Attack: Buffet +13 melee
Damage: Buffet 1d6+15
Special Attacks/Actions: Improved Grab, smother, poison
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 12, Con 21, Int 6, Wis 18, Cha 4
Special Qualities: Cold immunity, fire immunity
Feats: Alertness, Improved Initiative,
Skills: Hide +25, Listen +13, and Spot +12
Climate/Terrain: Temperate and warm forest
The forest trapper, or miner, resembles a tailless manta ray mottled brown or green-brown. Its frontal and dorsal ridges are hard bone.
It preys primarily on small forest animals but traps larger creatures by burrowing beneath paths or roads, then extending the 1d20+5 poisonous, twig-like barbs on its back through the surface. Passers-by have a 25% chance (75% if surprised) of unknowingly stepping on one. If not surprised, druids or rangers have a 5% chance per level of spotting and identifying the barbs. Fort save DC 20 or be paralyzed for 2d20 turns. A miner will not surface until all surface movement stops. Then it attacks in the same manner as a subterranean trapper.
Miners travel slowly on the surface by rippling like a snake. Burrowing is faster but travel is limited to soil, sand, and gravel.
Because a miner is always underground unless attacking, it is rarely attacked. The miner's toxin is located in sacs at the base of the barbs. The toxic barbs can be used in a blowgun or as a hand weapon by small creatures, provided the grip is wrapped.
Eggs are laid in a clutch several feet below the surface. The young feed on burrowing animals for their first year.