Dwarf, Arctic (CR 1/2)
Alignment: Usually lawful good
Initiative: +0; Senses: Listen +2 and Spot +2
AC: 17 (+1 size, +4 scale mail, +2 large shield), touch 11, flat-footed 15
Hit Dice: 1d8+1 (5 hp)
Fort +3, Ref +0, Will +0
Speed: 20 ft. (scale mail), base 20 ft.
Space: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack +1; Grapple +2
Attack: Dwarven waraxe +3 melee; or shortbow +1 ranged
Full Attack: Dwarven waraxe +3 melee; or shortbow +1 ranged
Damage: Dwarven waraxe 1d10+1/x3; shortbow 1d6/x3
Special Attacks/Actions: Dwarven traits
Abilities: Str 16, Dex 9, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 8
Special Qualities: Dwarven traits, immune to all cold effect and attacks
Feats: Weapon Focus (dwarven waraxe)
Skills: Appraise +2, Craft (blacksmithing) +2, Craft (stonemasonry) +2, Listen +2, and Spot +2
Advancement: By character class
Climate/Terrain: Cold mountains
Organization: Hunting party (3-12) or clan (51-100 plus 30% noncombatants plus 5 3rd-level lieutenants, 3 4th-level captains, and an elder of 6th-9th level)
Treasure: Standard (Gems only)
Monster Manual (3E)
Dwarves are experts in combat, effectively using their environment and executing well-planned group attacks. They rarely use magic in fights, since they have few wizards or sorcerers (but dwarven clerics throw themselves into battle as heartily as their fellow warriors). If they have time to prepare, they may build deadfalls or other traps involving stone. In addition to the dwarven waraxe and thrown hammer, dwarves also use warhammers, picks, shortbows, heavy crossbows, and maces.
Dwarven Traits (Ex): Dwarves benefit from a number of racial traits.
- Arctic dwarves are Small, so they gain the advantages and disadvantages of that size (+1 to attacks and AC, +4 to Hide checks, reduced lifting and carrying limits, base speed of 20 feet, must use smaller weapons).
- +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids, through special combat training.
- +2 racial bonus to Will saves against spells and spell-like abilities
- +2 racial bonus to Fortitude saves against all poisons.
- +4 dodge bonus against giants, through special defensive training
- Darkvision up to 60 feet
- Stonecunning: Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus to checks to notice unusual stonework. Something that isn't stone but is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a check as though actively searching and can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth sensing the approximate distance underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
Skills: Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus to Appraise checks and Craft or Profession checks that are related to stone or metal.