Duergar (CR 1)
Alignment: Often lawful evil
Initiative: +0; Senses: darkvision 60 ft., Listen +3, and Spot +2
AC: 17 (+5 chain mail, +2 heavy shield), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Hit Dice: 1d8+5 (9 hp)
Fort +4*, Ref +0*, Will +1*
Speed: 20 ft. (20 ft. in chain mail)
Space: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack +1; Grapple +2
Attack: Warhammer +2 melee or light crossbow +1 ranged
Full Attack: Warhammer +2 melee or light crossbow +1 ranged
Damage: Warhammer 1d8+1/x3, light crossbow 1d8/19-20
Special Attacks/Actions: Duergar traits, spell-like abilities
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 4
Special Qualities: duergar traits
Skills: Appraise +2, Craft (blacksmithing) +2, Craft (stonemasonry) +2, Listen +3, Move Silently -4, and Spot +2
Advancement: By character class
Climate/Terrain: Any underground
Organization: Team (2-4), squad (9-16 plus 3 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or clan (20-80 plus 25% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 5 adults, 3-6 6th-level lieutenants, and 1-4 9th-level captains)
Treasure/Possessions: Standard coins; double goods; standard items
Duergar are experts in combat, effectively using their environment and executing well-planned group attacks.
Duergar Traits (Ex): Duergar benefit from a number of racial traits.
- +3 Racial bonus to Will saves against spells and spell-like abilities.
- +3 Racial bonus to Fortitude saves against normal poisons. Immune to paralysis, phantasms, and magical or alchemical poisons (but not normal poisons).
- +4 racial bonus to Move Silently checks.
- Spell-like Abilities: 1/day - enlarge and invisibility as a wizard twice the duergar's level (minimum 3rd level); these affect only the duergar and whatever it carries.
- Darkvision up to 120 feet.
- Light Sensitivity (Ex): Duergar suffer a -2 circumstance penalty to attack rolls in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
- Listen +1, Spot +1.
- Alertness feat
- Stonecunning: Duergar receive a +2 racial bonus to checks to notice unusual stonework. Something that isn't stone but is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A duergar who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a check as though actively searching and can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A duergar can also intuit depth sensing the approximate distance underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.