Derro (CR 3)
Small Monstrous Humanoid
Alignment: Usually chaotic evil
Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative); Senses: Listen +1
AC: 19 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +2 natural, +3 studded leather armor, +1 buckler), touch 13, flat-footed 17
Hit Dice: 3d8+3 (16 hp)
Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +6
Speed: 20 ft.
Space: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack +3; Grapple -1
Attack: Shortsword +4 melee; or light repeating crossbow +6 ranged
Damage: Shortsword 1d4/19-20, repeating light crossbow 1d6/19-20 plus poison
Special Attacks/Actions: Poison use, spell-like abilities, sneak attack 1d6
Abilities: Str 11, Dex 14, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 5*, Cha 6
Special Qualities: Madness, SR 15, vulnerability to sunlight
Feats: Blind-fight; Improved Initiative
Skills: Bluff +5, Hide +10, Listen +1, and Move Silently +8
Advancement: By character class
Climate/Terrain: Any underground
Organization: Team (2-4), squad (11-20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or clan (30-100 plus 30% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 3 7th-level captains)
Treasure/Possessions: Standard coins; double goods; standard items
Derro Traits (Ex): Derro benefit from a number of racial traits.
- +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids, through special combat training.
- +4 dodge bonus against giants, through special defensive training
- Spell resistance 18 and +3 Racial bonus to Will saves against spells and spell-like abilities.
- +2 Racial bonus to Fortitude saves against all poisons.
- Darkvision up to 30 feet.
- Sunlight Vulnerability (Ex): Derro take 1 point of temporary Constitution damage for every hour they are exposed to sunlight, dying when their Constitution reaches 0. Lost Constitution points are recovered at the rate of 1 per day out of the sun.
- Stonecunning: Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus to checks to notice unusual stonework. Something that isn't stone but is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a check as though actively searching and can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth sensing the approximate distance underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
- Blind-Fight feat
Derro are experts in combat, effectively using their environment and executing well-planned group attacks.