Snow Hunter, Glacier Dwarf Ranger (CR 2)
AC: 14 (+4 masterwork chain shirt), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Hit Dice: 2d8+4 (13 hp)
Fort +5, Ref +3, Will -1
Speed: 20 ft.
Space: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack +2; Grapple +3
Attack: Masterwork dwarven waraxe +4 melee or masterwork light crossbow +3 ranged
Full Attack: Masterwork dwarven waraxe +2 melee and masterwork handaxe +2 melee or masterwork light crossbow +3 ranged
Damage: Masterwork dwarven waraxe 1d10+1/x3, masterwork handaxe 1d6/x3, masterwork light crossbow 1d8/19-20
Special Attacks/Actions: Favored enemy (giants +2)
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6
Special Qualities: glacier dwarf traits, wild empathy. 2nd level Ranger
Feats: Alertness; Track; Two-Weapon Fighting
Skills: Climb +3, Hide +4, Knowledge (geography) +3, Listen +4, Move Silently +4, Search +3, Spot +4, and Survival +4
Advancement: By class
Climate/Terrain: Cold mountains
Organization: Scout party (1-4), patrol (2-5 plus 7-10 1st-level warriors and 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or clan (4-8 plus 30-80 1st-level warriors plus 30% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 3 7th-level captains)
The snow hunter favors deliberate, carefully planned attacks, looking for opportunities to weaken his foes with crossbow fire from a secure spot behind good cover before closing in to fight with his axes. Since he is expected to serve as a scout and picket, the snow hunter avoids fights against obviously superior foes - it's more important to warn the clan of approaching danger than to prove his personal valor in an ill-advised attack.
Favored Enemy (Ex): This glacier dwarf ranger gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks against giants. He also gains a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against giants.
- Darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Icecunning: Glacier dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual construction or hazards in ice or snow. A glacier dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual construction or hazards can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a glacier dwarf can use Search to find ice or snow traps as a rogue can.
- Weapon Familiarity: Glacier dwarves treat dwarven waraxes and dwarven urgroshes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.
- Stability: Glacier dwarves are exceptionally stable on their feet. A glacier dwarf has a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground.
- Cold-Tolerant: +2 racial bonus on saving throws against cold damage and cold effects. Glacier dwarves can exist comfortably in conditions from severe cold to hot.
- Glacier dwarves have no special resistance to poison.
- +2 racial saving throw bonus against spells and spell-like effects.
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against orcs (including half-orcs) and goblinoids.
- +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to snow, ice, or special frostfell materials.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to snow, ice, or special frostfell materials.
- Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, Undercommon.