Shator (CR 16)

Large Outsider (Evil and Extraplanar)
Alignment: Often neutral evil
Initiative: +2 (Dex); Senses: darkvision 120 ft., scent, see invisibility, Listen +20, and Spot +20
Languages: Demodands, Abyssal, Infernal, Common

AC: 28 (-1 size, +2 Dex, +13 natural, +4 deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 26
Hit Dice: 15d8+60 (127 hp); DR: 15/good
Fort +13, Ref +11, Will +12
Speed: 30 ft., fly 70 ft. (poor)
Space: 10 ft./10 ft. (20 ft. with guisarme)
Base Attack +15; Grapple +25
Attack: Huge +2 guisarme +22 melee, or claw +20 melee
Full Attack: Huge +2 guisarme +22 melee, or 2 claws +20 melee and bite +18 melee
Damage: Huge +2 guisarme 2d6+11; claw 1d6+6; bite 2d6+3
Special Attacks/Actions: Paralyzing slime, spell-like abilities, spells, summon demodand
Abilities: Str 23, Dex 15, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 16, Cha 21
Special Qualities: Acid immunity, cold immunity, outsider traits, poison immunity, fire immunity, immunity to mind-affecting effects, SR 30
Feats: Alertness; Combat Reflexes; Combat Expertise; Improved Trip; Multiattack; Spell Penetration
Skills: Bluff +20, Concentration +19, Diplomacy +24, Disguise +20 (+22 acting), Gather Information +7, Hide +17, Intimidate +25, Knowledge (arcana) +18, Knowledge (local) +18, Knowledge (the planes) +18, Listen +20, Move Silently +17, Search +17, Sense Motive +21, Spot +20, and Survival +3 (+5 following tracks or on other planes)
Advancement: 16-22 HD (Large); 23-30 HD (Huge); 31-45 HD (Gargantuan)
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground (Carceri)
Organization: Organization: Solitary, team (2-4), or clique (2-4 plus 6-10 farastus and 4-6 kelubars)
Treasure/Possessions: Double standard

Source: Fiend Folio

Paralyzing Slime (Ex): A shator's slime acts as a nerve toxin. Creatures struck in melee by a shator's claw or bite attack must make a Fortitude save (DC 21) or be paralyzed for 3d6 rounds. The shator can choose to spit a globule of slime as a ranged touch attack with a range of 30 feet, with the same effect.

Spell-like Abilities: At will - detect magic, clairaudience/clairvoyance, fear, invisibility, spider climb, tongues; 3 day - cloudkill, fog cloud, ray of enfeeblement, stinking cloud; 2/day - dispel magic; 1/day - mass charm. Caster level 15th; save DC 15 + spell level.

Spells: A shator can cast arcane spells as an 8th-level sorcerer (spells/day 6/8 7/6/4; spells known 8/5/3/2 1; save DC 15 + spell level). A typical spells known list: 0 - dancing lights, daze, flare, ghost sound, read magic, mage hand, open/close, ray of frost; 1st - enlarge, mage armor, magic missile, obscuring mist, true strike; 2nd - bull's strength, detect thoughts, Tasha's hideous laughter; 3rd - blink, fireball; 4th - confusion.

Summon Demodand (Sp): Once per day, a shator can attempt to summon 1d2 shators with a 30% chance of success or either 1d4 kelubars or 1d6 farastus (shator's choice) with a 70% chance of success. Summoned creatures remain for 1 hour, then return to their home on Carceri. A demodand that is itself summoned cannot use its own summon demodand ability for 1 hour.

Immunity to Mind-Affecting Effects (Ex): A shator is immune to all spells and effects with the mind-affecting descriptor.

Scent (Ex): A shator can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell.

See Invisibility (Su): This ability functions like a see invisibility spell, except that it is always active and its range extends to the limit of the shator's vision.

Freedom of Movement (Su): All demodands gain the benefit of continuous freedom of movement, as the spell cast by a 10th-level spellcaster.

Poison Immunity (Ex): All demodands are immune to poison.

Outsider Traits: A demodand has darkvision (60-foot range, or 120-foot range for shators). It cannot be raised or resurrected.

Evil Subtype

A subtype usually applied only to outsiders native to the evil-aligned Outer Planes. Evil outsiders are also called fiends. Most creatures that have this subtype also have evil alignments; however, if their alignments change, they still retain the subtype. Any effect that depends on alignment affects a creature with this subtype as if the creature has an evil alignment, no matter what its alignment actually is. The creature also suffers effects according to its actual alignment. A creature with the evil subtype overcomes damage reduction as if its natural weapons and any weapons it wields were evil-aligned (see Damage Reduction).

Extraplanar Subtype

A subtype applied to any creature when it is on a plane other than its native plane. A creature that travels the planes can gain or lose this subtype as it goes from plane to plane. This book assumes that encounters with creatures take place on the Material Plane, and every creature whose native plane is not the Material Plane has the extraplanar subtype (but would not have when on its home plane). An extraplanar creatures usually has a home plane mentioned in its description. These home planes are taken from the Great Wheel cosmology of the D&D game (see Chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master's Guide). If your campaign uses a different cosmology, you will need to assign different home planes to extraplanar creatures.

Creatures not labeled as extraplanar are natives of the Material Plane, and they gain the extraplanar subtype if they leave the Material Plane. No creature has the extraplanar subtype when it is on a transitive plane; the transitive planes in the D&D cosmology are the Astral Plane, the Ethereal Plane, and the Plane of Shadow.