Myconid Sovereign (CR 7)
Alignment: Usually lawful neutral
Initiative: +1 (Dex); Senses: low-light vision, Listen +7, and Spot +7
Languages: telepathy via spores
AC: 12 (-1 size, +1 Dex, +2 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 11
Hit Dice: 6d8+21 (48 hp)
Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +5
Speed: 20 ft.
Space: 10 ft./10 ft.
Base Attack +4; Grapple +3
Attack: 2 slams +7 melee (1d8+4), or spores +8 ranged touch
Special Attacks/Actions: Spores
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 12, Con 17, Int 12, Wis 17, Cha 17
Special Qualities: Plant traits, potion making, spore
Feats: Alertness; Brew Potion; Toughness; Weapon Focus (spores)
Skills: Intimidate +6, Knowledge (nature) +4, Listen +7, Move Silently +3, Profession (farmer) +8, Profession (herbalist) +7, Sense Motive +6, Spot +7, and Survival +6
Advancement: 7-12 HD (Large); 13-18 HD (Huge)
Organization: Tribe (3-10 circles, plus 1 king and 5-10 zombie servants)
Treasure/Possessions: No coins, no goods, standard items (potions only)
Monster Manual II
Spores (Ex): A myconid sovereign has access to distress, reproduction, rapport, pacification, hallucination, and animation spores (save DC 15 where applicable).
- Distress: These spores alert all other myconids within the area that danger is near. They are released in a 120-foot spread.
- Reproduction: These spores eventually germinate into new infant myconids. They are released as a 120-foot spread and have no detrimental effects on non-myconids.
- Rapport: Myconids do not speak, but these spores enable them to establish telepathic communication with each other and with outsiders. A successful Fortitude saving throw (DC varies; see individual descriptions) negates the effect, but it is harmless. Rapport lasts for 30 to 60 minutes with outsiders, but for 8 hours with other myconids. Rapport spores can be released as either a 120-foot spread or a 40-foot ray. Regardless of the release area, the communication range is 120 feet once rapport is established.
- Pacification: These spores are released as a 40-foot ray. The target must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC varies; see individual descriptions) or become passive for 1 minute. Being passive is similar to being dazed, except that the target can take partial actions that don't involve attacking. This is a mind-affecting compulsion effect.
- Hallucination: These spores are released as a 40-foot ray. The target must make a Fortitude saving throw (DC varies; see individual descriptions) or suffer powerful hallucinations that duplicate the effects of a confusion spell for 1 hour.
- Animation: Only the myconid sovereign has access to these spores. When released over a dead body, animation spores begin a process that covers the corpse with purple fungus. After 1d4 days, the corpse reanimates as a servant. A servant has all the characteristics of a zombie of the same size, except that it retains its previous creature type and it cannot be turned or otherwise affected as an undead. Over the course of 1d6 weeks, a myconid-animated corpse slowly decays. At the end of that period it simply disintegrates into dust.
Potion Making (Su): Though it is not a spellcaster, a myconid sovereign can create various potions that mimic cleric and druid spells. It can duplicate the following effects, each once per day (but only for the purpose of brewing potions): bull's strength, cure light wounds, cure moderate wounds, cure serious wounds, delay poison, endurance, endure elements, greater magic fang, invisibility to animals, lesser restoration, magic fang, negative energy protection, neutralize poison, protection from elements, remove blindness/deafness, remove disease, remove paralysis, resist elements. Caster level 6th; save DC 12 + spell level.
Skills and Feats (Ex): A myconid gains skills and feats as though it were a fey. A myconid of any kind has EHD as though it were a Tiny plant.
Sovereigns use the same tactics as circle leaders, except that they also usually have a few myconid-animated zombies, or servants, to order into combat. If they join combat at all, sovereigns tend to advance on the enemy behind a rank of servants or circle leaders or both.