Elf, Aquatic Dolphin Rider (CR 3)
AC: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 sharkskin), touch 13, flat-footed 13
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 plus 2d10+4 (25 hp)
Fort +7, Ref +3, Will +3 (+5 against enchantments)
Speed: 30 ft. in masterwork sharkskin armor, swim 40 ft.
Space: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack +2; Grapple +3
Attack: Trident +4 melee or +6 ranged
Full Attack: Trident +4 melee or +6 ranged
Damage: Trident 1d8+1
Special Attacks/Actions: Porpoise animal companion, spells
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 17, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 8
Special Qualities: Aquatic elf traits, spontaneous casting, wild empathy +0 (-4 magical beasts), 1st-level Druid/2nd-level Fighter
Feats: Combat Casting; Weapon Focus (trident)
Skills: Concentration +4 (+8 casting defensively), Handle Animal +5, Knowledge (nature) +3 Listen +3, Ride +5, Search +1, Spot +3, Survival +5, and Swim +9
Advancement: By character class
Climate/Terrain: Temperate aquatic
Organization: Squad (2-4), patrol (5-10 plus 2 3rd-level dolphinriders and 1 leader of 4th to 6th level plus 1-2 porpoises), or band (30-80 plus 25% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level dolphinrider per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 2 7th-level captains, plus 5-8 porpoises or 1-2 orcas, plus 2d6 hippocampi)
When aquatic elves fight, they are ruthless and clever. In water, they start by charging from below (especially against foes not used to fighting in three dimensions). They sometimes try to drive an aquatic enemy on shore to render it helpless. Battles between sea elves and sahuagin also include large numbers of porpoises and sharks. Aquatic elf warriors favor light armor, usually "leather" crafted from eel or shark skins, or from fish scales sewn onto thick cloth.
Druid Spells Prepared: 0 - cure minor wounds (DC 11), flare (DC 11), read magic; 1st - charm animal (DC 12), magic fang (DC 12).
Skills: An aquatic elf has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. He can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. He can use the run action while swimming, provided he swims in a straight line.
Aquatic elves possess the following racial traits.
- +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence.
- Medium size.
- An aquatic elf 5 base land speed is 30 feet. An aquatic elf has a swim speed of 40 feet.
- Immunity to sleep spells and effects, and a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells or effects.
- Gills: An aquatic elf can survive out of the water for 1 hour per point of Constitution. After that, he risks suffocation.
- Superior Low-Light Vision (Ex): Aquatic elves can see four times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of low illumination.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An aquatic elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if he where actively looking for it.
- Weapon Proficiencies: Aquatic elves are automatically proficient with the net, spear, trident, and aquatic crossbow.
- Bonus Languages: Aquan, Draconic, Sahuagin.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
Creatures with the aquatic subtype always have swim speeds and thus can move in water without making Swim checks. An aquatic creature can breathe underwater. It cannot also breathe air unless it has the amphibious special quality.