Dwarf, Hill (CR 1/2)
Alignment: Usually lawful good
Initiative: +0; Senses: darkvision 60 ft., Listen +2, and Spot +2
AC: 16 (+4 scale mail, +2 heavy shield), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Hit Dice: 1d8+2 (6 hp)
Fort +4*, Ref +0*, Will +1*
Speed: 20 ft. (scale mail), base 20 ft.
Space: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack +1; Grapple +2
Attack: Dwarven waraxe +3 melee; or shortbow +1 ranged
Full Attack: Dwarven waraxe +3 melee; or shortbow +1 ranged
Damage: Dwarven waraxe 1d10+1/x3; shortbow 1d6/x3
Special Attacks/Actions: Dwarven traits
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 6
Special Qualities: Dwarven traits
Feats: Weapon Focus (dwarven waraxe)
Skills: Appraise +2, Craft (blacksmithing) +2, Craft (stonemasonry) +2, Listen +2, and Spot +2
Advancement: By character class
Climate/Terrain: Temperate mountains
Organization: Team (2-4), squad (11-20 plus 2 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd-6th level), or clan (30-100 plus 30% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 10 adults, 5 5th-level lieutenants, and 3 7th-level captains)
Treasure/Possessions: Standard coins; double goods; standard items
Dwarves are experts in combat, effectively using their environment and executing well-planned group attacks. They rarely use magic in fights, since they have few wizards or sorcerers (but dwarven clerics throw themselves into battle as heartily as their fellow warriors). If they have time to prepare, they may build deadfalls or other traps involving stone. In addition to the dwarven waraxe and thrown hammer, dwarves also use warhammers, picks, shortbows, heavy crossbows, and maces.
Dwarven Traits (Ex): Dwarves benefit from a number of racial traits.
- +1 racial bonus to attack rolls against orcs and goblinoids, through special combat training.
- +2 racial bonus to Will saves against spells and spell-like abilities
- +2 racial bonus to Fortitude saves against all poisons.
- +4 dodge bonus against giants, through special defensive training
- Darkvision up to 60 feet
- Stonecunning: Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus to checks to notice unusual stonework. Something that isn't stone but is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a check as though actively searching and can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth sensing the approximate distance underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
Skills: Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus to Appraise checks and Craft or Profession checks that are related to stone or metal.