Dwarf, Frost (CR 1)
AC: 15 (+3 hide armor, +2 heavy shield), touch 10, flat-footed 15
Hit Dice: 1d8+6 (10 hp)
Fort +5*, Ref +0*, Will -1*
Speed: 20 ft. in hide, base speed 20 ft.
Space: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack +1; Grapple +2
Attack: Battleaxe +2 melee or throwing axe +1 ranged
Full Attack: Battleaxe +2 melee or throwing axe +1 ranged
Damage: Battleaxe 1d8+1/x3, throwing axe 1d6+1
Special Attacks/Actions: Frost dwarf traits, spell-like abilities
Abilities: Str 13, Dex 11, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 9, Cha 4
Special Qualities: frost dwarf traits (1st-level Warrior)
Skills: Craft (blacksmithing) +4, Craft (stonemasonry) +2, Listen +2, Move Silently +4, and Spot +2
Advancement: By character class
Climate/Terrain: Infinite Layers of the Abyss (Ice Wastes)
Organization: Solitary, team (2-4), squad (9-16 plus 3 3rd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 3rd-8th level) or clan (20-80 plus 25% noncombatants plus 1 3rd-level sergeant per 5 adults, 3-6 6th-level lieutenants, and 1-4 9th-level captains)
Treasure/Possessions: Standard coins, double goods, standard items
Like other dwarves, frost dwarves use their environment to its fullest, though they only rarely plan out their attacks in advance. Frost dwarves hurl themselves into every battle with reckless abandon, hacking away with their axes until no enemies are left. In close combat, frost dwarves sometimes cast aside their battleaxes and attempt to grapple their foes into submission, using their chill touch spell-like ability to help take the fight out of their enemies (and later ransoming their prisoners for a hefty profit). If outmatched - or if they simply wish to remain hidden - frost dwarves use their obscuring mist spell-like ability to confuse their enemies and cover their escape. (The frost dwarves may not be able to see through the mist themselves, but they know the layout of their mines and tunnels.)
Frost Dwarf Traits (Ex): Frost dwarves have the following racial traits.
- +4 Constitution, -4 Charisma.
- Medium size.
- Darkvision out to 120 feet.
- Immunity to paralysis, phantasms, and poison.
- Resistance to cold 10.
- Stability: Dwarves are exceptionally stable on their feet. A dwarf has a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
- +2 racial bonus on saves against spells and spell-like abilities (That reflected in the saving throw numbers given here).
- +1 racial bonus on attack rolls and +4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures of the giant type (such as ogres, trolls, and frost giants).
- Spell-like Abilities: 1/day - chill touch and obscuring mist as a wizard of the frost dwarfs class level +2 (minimum caster level 3rd).
- Light sensitivity (dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell).
- +4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
- +2 racial bonus on Appraise and Craft checks related to stone or metal.
- Bonus languages: Draconic, Goblin, Orc, Terran, Undercommon.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
- Level adjustment +1.
A subtype applied to any creature when it is on a plane other than its native plane. A creature that travels the planes can gain or lose this subtype as it goes from plane to plane. This book assumes that encounters with creatures take place on the Material Plane, and every creature whose native plane is not the Material Plane has the extraplanar subtype (but would not have when on its home plane). An extraplanar creatures usually has a home plane mentioned in its description. These home planes are taken from the Great Wheel cosmology of the D&D game (see Chapter 5 of the Dungeon Master's Guide). If your campaign uses a different cosmology, you will need to assign different home planes to extraplanar creatures.
Creatures not labeled as extraplanar are natives of the Material Plane, and they gain the extraplanar subtype if they leave the Material Plane. No creature has the extraplanar subtype when it is on a transitive plane; the transitive planes in the D&D cosmology are the Astral Plane, the Ethereal Plane, and the Plane of Shadow.