Astral Construct, 3rd-Level (CR 2)
Alignment: Always neutral
Initiative: +2 (Dex)
Languages: Cannot speak
AC: 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 14
Hit Dice: 2d10 (11 hp)
Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +2
Speed: 40 ft.
Space: 5 ft./5 ft.
Base Attack +1; Grapple -4
Attack: Slam +4 melee
Full Attack: Slam +4 melee
Damage: Slam 1d6+4
Special Attacks/Actions: 3 abilities from Menu A
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 15, Con -, Int -, Wis 15, Cha 6
Climate/Terrain: Any land and underground
Astral constructs are brought into being by specific Metacreativity powers (astral construct I-IX). They are formed from raw ectoplasm (a portion of the astral medium drawn into the Material Plane). An astral construct's Hit Dice are determined by the level of the power used to create it. However, astral constructs of given HD can vary somewhat from one another, depending on the whims of their creators.
Creating an Astral Construct
When manifesting an astral construct power, the manifester assembles the desired creature from a menu of choices as specified in the construct's statistics block. A manifester can always substitute two abilities on a lesser menu for one choice on the next higher menu (for example, two abilities from Menu A instead of one from Menu B). Astral constructs generally appear as animate clumps of ectoplasm with a vaguely humanoid shape, but the manifester can mold or sculpt them according to his or her whim within the limits imposed by the creature's size. The quality of such construct "sculpture" is determined by a Craft (sculpting) check with the appropriate DC set by the Dungeon Master.
Construct: Constructs usually have no Intelligence scores and never have Constitution scores. A construct is immune to mind-influencing effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects) and to poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromantic effects.
Constructs cannot heal damage, though they can be healed. They can be repaired in the same way an object can. A construct is not subject to critical hits, subdual damage, ability damage, ability drain, or energy drain. It is immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects). A construct is not at risk of death from massive damage (see Chapter 8 of the Player's Handbook), but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected. Constructs do not require air.
Astral Construct Menu A
- Additional Attack: One additional attack at highest attack bonus; both attacks -2 to attack roll.
- Armor (Ex): +1 deflection bonus to AC.
- Fly (Ex): Construct has physical wings (6-foot wingspan). Speed 60 ft. (average).
- Resistance (Ex): Choose one of fire, cold, acid, electricity, or sonic resistance 5. The same resistance can be chosen multiple times and stacks: For example, picking fire resistance three times would give a total resistance of 15.
- Sprint (Ex): Once per hour, the construct can take a charge action to 10 times normal speed.
- Swim: Construct becomes streamlined and shark-like. Speed 60 ft.
- Trample (Ex): As a standard action during its turn each round, the construct can literally run over an opponent at least one size smaller than itself It merely has to move over the opponent to deal bludgeoning damage equal to 1d4 + Strength modifier (see Trample in the Introduction of the Monster Manual).
- Trip (Ex): If the construct hits with a slam attack it can attempt to trip the opponent as a free action (see Chapter 8 of the Player's Handbook) without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the astral construct.