General Prestige Class : Vetha
As the only trusted spellcasters among the bargefolk, the vetha are able to exert a subtle though powerful influence on the Rhennee lords. None truly know where their magic originates; most believe that the vetha are born with a tenuous yet vital link to the homeland of Rhop. They tend to phrase their counsel in riddles, and are often accused of being intentionally abstruse.
To qualify to become a Vetha, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
- Race: Rhenee
- Gender: Female
- Skills: Heal: 4 ranks.
- Feats: Craft Wondrous Item,
- Special: The ability to cast arcane spells without the need of memorization or spellbooks; over 35 years old.
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.
All of the following are class features of the dark hunter prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A veth is proficient with all simple weapons, though she is not proficient with any type of armor or shield, as such things tend to interfere with spellcasting.
Spells: Beginning at 1st level, a veth gains the ability to cast a small number of arcane spells. To cast a spell, the veth must have a Charisma score of at least 10 + the spell's level, so a veth with a Charisma of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells. Veth bonus spells are based on Charisma and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + Charisma modifier. When the veth gets "0" spells of a given level, such as 0 1st-level spells at 1 level, the veth gets only bonus spells. A veth without a bonus spell for the level cannot yet cast a spell of that level. The number of spells of a given level that the veth might know from this list is given in the "Veth Spells Known" table. A veth casts spells just as a sorcerer does.
Improved Caster Level: When determining the caster level for one of her spells, the veth adds both her veth levels and her levels in one of her other spell casting classes (in the case of multiple spellcasting classes, she adds her veth levels to whichever level is highest).
Reading the Lake: The vetha are trained to empathize with the waters of the Nyr Dyv and its tributaries, seeing in their disposition some glimmer of the future. Each evening under a clear sky, the veth can survey the waters of a river or lake and make a limited prediction on the future of one passenger on her barge. The veth's knowledge is usually vague, clouded in metaphor and obscure imagery. If a successful Scry check (DC 25) is made, the veth can foresee a general event of the next 10 days, based on the DM's intentions for the next few gaming sessions (or, in the case of the Living Greyhawk campaign, the contents of the scenario being played). The prediction only indicates the potential outcome and does not guarantee the result. If the Scry check is failed, no information can be gained concerning the subject for the next month, as the mists of the future have proven too thick. A veth may consult the waters only once each night.
Hex Mastery: All vetha are instructed in the art of bestowing curses and manipulating the minds and emotions of their enemies. Each time the veth achieves a new level in Hex Mastery, she adds two to her effective caster level when casting the following spells: bestow curse, cause fear, charm person, charm monster, confusion, contagion, hypnotism, and scare.
Bonus Languages: In their travels, the vetha come into contact with various merchants from other cultures, and have picked up some of their speech. This gives the veth an edge in dealing with trading partners and potential enemies. Each time the veth achieves a bonus language, choose one tongue from the Player's Handbook or the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer.
The veth can read and write in this language as if she had acquired it in the usual manner. The language must be one with which the veth has had some contact.
Master Healer: As a veteran in the arts of medicine, a veth has greatly refined her talents as a healer. She doubles the hit points of damage she may restore with long-term care, as per the Heal skill.
Greater Eyebite: Upon reaching 10th level, a veth may use a gaze attack, as per the spell eyebite, two times per day. This is a spell-like ability. The caster level for the spell is the caster's class level in veth.
Vetha Spell List
- 1st-Level - alarm, animate rope, cause fear, change self, chill touch, color spray, comprehend languages, endure elements, hypnotism, identify, mage armor, magic weapon, message, Nystul's magical aura, Nystul's undetectable aura, obscuring mist, protection from chaos
- 2nd-Level - alter self, arcane lock, blur, bull's strength, cat's grace, continual flame, darkness, darkvision, detect thoughts, endurance, fog cloud, invisibility, knock, locate object, minor image, misdirection, obscure object, protection from arrows
- 3rd-Level - clairaudience/clairvoyance, dispel magic, greater magic weapon, gust of wind, hold person, lightning bolt, magic circle against chaos, magic circle against evil, magic circle against good, magic circle against law, major image, nondetection, protection from elements, sleet storm, slow, stinking cloud, suggestion, tongues
- 4th-Level - arcane eye, bestow curse, charm monster, confusion, contagion, detect scrying, dream, emotion, enervation, Evard's black tentacles, fear, improved invisibility, lesser geas, locate creature, mind fog, minor creation, phantasmal killer, remove curse
|Vetha||Hit Die: d4|
|CL||BAB||Fort||Ref||Will||Special||Spells per day*|
|1st||+0||+0||+0||+2||Reading the Lake, Improved Caster Level||3||-||-||-||2*||-||-||-|
|2nd||+1||+0||+0||+3||Hex Mastery +1||4||-||-||-||3||-||-||-|
|4th||+2||+1||+1||+4||Hex Mastery +2||6||3||-||-||4||3||-||-|
|6th||+3||+2||+2||+5||Hex Mastery +3||6||5||3||-||4||4||2*||-|
|8th||+4||+2||+2||+6||Hex Mastery +4||6||6||5||3||4||4||3||-|
Older Prestige class adapted to 3.5