Netherese Arcanist - Faerun Prestige Class
This is a Forgotten Realms Exclusive Class
The archwizards of ancient Netheril were arguably the greatest human spellcasters in all of Faerûn's history, though the elves often point out that the Netherese learned all they knew from elf wizards. But even so, the spellcasters of Netheril were renowned for the mighty magic under their control - spells that could shear the tops from mountains and levitate them in the air to serve as floating enclaves. Some say that these archwizards even had access to a spell that could make a man into a god.
The Netherese arcanist is a pioneer of epic spellcasting who focuses his efforts on mastering the secrets of spells that go beyond ordinary limits. Most members of this prestige class died when their floating enclaves plummeted from the sky and their mighty empire crumbled into the desert of Anauroch, though at least one still survives as a lich. But two means remain by which modern-day wizards and sorcerers can approach the techniques of ancient Netheril. They can explore lost Netherese ruins and find records of the arcanists' forgotten secrets, or they can visit the living heirs of those powerful spellcasters - the shades. Among the shades, Netherese arcanists are once again rising to a level of prominence in society, to the great concern of their neighbors.
Hit Die: d4
To qualify to become a Netherese Arcanist, a character must fulfill all the following criteria:
- Race: Human (including human undead) or shade.
- Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 25 ranks, Spellcraft 25 ranks.
- Feats: Improved Metamagic, Epic Spellcasting, Improved Spell Capacity,
- Spells: Able to cast 13th-level arcane spells.
- Special: Traditions of Netheril: The candidate must have access to the ancient magical traditions of Netheril. A lich or a shade character from the Empire of Shade meets this criterion, or (at the DM's discretion) another character who has unearthed ancient Netherese lore might also qualify.
Player's Guide to Faerûn
All the Prestige Classes material is © Hasbro 2003, 2004 and used without their permission - so make them happy and buy the book.